Thursday, May 24, 2012

Story Time

Our local librarian and 'Story Time' leader, Sheila, agreed to read my manuscript and give me her notes.  I definitely consider her an expert on reading to children, among other things.  Her story times have packed them in for years.  Here is an article from a couple of years ago, but it remains the same today.
http://richmondconfidential.org/2009/12/24/story-time-for-a-special-season/

She gave me some wonderful pointers for my next set of manuscript revisions and is encouraging me to read it at the library.  She said the kids will let me know if it works.  Yikes!  I suppose part of this business is an ability to do self-promotion and group talks.  I can read a book to a bunch of kids and parents....right?  I've managed to put it off until next week to rework my dummy.  I think it will be much easier to read if I have pictures to go with it.  They will just be black and white sketches, but it's better than nothing.  I expect this experience will allow me to hear some of the things that I can't when just reading to myself.

I really value women/people like Sheila.  It is so important to instill a love of books and learning.  She is someone who has dedicated herself to this task, remembering the dozens of names that pass through the library doors and making each child feel special and welcome.  That is really all it takes with kids.  They don't look for perfection.  They just want connection.  I'll try to remember that as I'm shaking in my boots next week staring into all those little faces.

Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012
Here is a happy little accident that happened while I was playing with some watercolors this week.  She makes me smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment