Sunday, July 8, 2012

I am now in the last month before the SCBWI Conference.  I just returned from a week up near Mt Lassen with the family.  I was able to put in the final hours of work on my "First Look" submission for the Illustrators' Intensive.  Here were my requirements.
1)  THUMBNAILS. 32 Pages.  Thumbnails should be small and loose because they are used to judge pacing and composition, not content.
2)  TWO CHARACTER STUDIES, showing the protagonist from different angles
3)  ILLUSTRATION.  One complete scene (whether a spot, single page or spread), finished in the style that would be used throughout the book.
4)  ONE SENTENCE DESCRIPTIONS of
      A) the characters
      B) the setting
      C) the dilemma
      D) the point/resolution of the story

I thought I would share the drawing portion with you, so here it goes.
Storyboard Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012


  
Balloon Character Study Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012



Little Girl Character Study Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012

Finished Illustration Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012


I was able to get these off last Friday 2 hours before deadline.  I may not be the earliest, but I did get it in under the wire.  So now I am just crossing my fingers that my work will have the opportunity for review.
I did a little research as to what is to look forward to on the day of the intensive.  Apparently last year there were seven of the top illustrators who did live demos.  It all sounds pretty inspirational.  Yay!  I can't wait.
Well, I still have a lot of work to do before I go, so I better get to it.  Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Carrie,

    I showed the pictures to my little girl and she loved them. She instantly wanted more balloons! Your work is beautiful!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jeff, for the encouraging words! I hope that one day she can have my book in her hands.
      Carrie

      Delete
  2. Great job Carrie! We have our fingers crossed here on the other side of the ocean! BONNE CHANCE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie! These are gorgeous. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete