Thursday, July 19, 2012

Staying on Track

Ok, so I made it past Sweet P's 3rd birthday and am attempting to squeeze a few more finished pieces out of the next few weeks before the conference.  I am finding that I tend to make things too complicated for myself though,  and I am making a renewed effort to stay focused.  For example, since Sweet P wanted a Little Mermaid party, I thought it would be fun to draw each of the kids attending as a mermaid.  I need more portfolio material and this could kill two birds with one project.  In the end they did make nice additions to the goodie bags, but I was up till 2am the night before, exhausted, and not oh so pleased with the finished product.  Not portfolio material.  Later I decided to download a free trial of Photoshop and Illustration CS6.  I can just tweek the merkids in photoshop and turn them into something more interesting.  A few hours later playing with the lasso tool and a few dozen brush options, I closed the computer, moved to the dining room table and began to rework a current illustration.  Ahhh, my happy place.  I'm not saying that I won't learn how to use those programs or try to create fresh looking work.  I just had to accept that this may not be the time for it.  I've now made a list and am choosing the shortest distance between to two points to get there.  Short and Sweet lesson for the day, but it comes with pictures. :o)

Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012
Not the best picture, but here are my MerKids.


Copyright Carrie Cartier 2012
Here is my reworked illustration.  The colors need to be enhanced a bit, but I'm fairly please with this one.
Done in Watercolor Pencil and Watercolor paint. 
Tomorrow I will be attending the SCBWI Illustrator's Series Event, which will include a hands-on workshop and lecture with award winning illustrator Julie Downing will focus on thinking about and creating a series of images that work together to tell a story. Can't wait!  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment