Thursday, July 26, 2012

Time!  I need more time!!
I feel like I'm in college again, pushing against a deadline in 5 different subjects.  There is just not enough time in the day to master them all.
I want to tell you guys a little about the workshop I participated in last Thursday.  Julie Downing http://www.juliedowning.com/Pages/books.html did a wonderful job breaking down the process of illustrating a picture book.  She used her book "The Firekeeper's Son" ,written by Linda Sue Park, to demonstrate this involved process from storyboard to finished book.  Oh why oh why couldn't I have heard this information a few weeks ago as I was preparing my storyboard for submission???   It all makes such sense now!  Okay, I'll dial down the dramatic overtones and explain myself.
You have probably heard of the dramatic structure or arc of a story, but I'll give a little history.  In the mid 1800s, a German gentleman named Gustav Freytag wrote a study of the 5-act dramatic structure.  It became known as Freytag's Pyramid.  Now this was for a 5-act play, but the structure works for most any story. According to Freytag, a drama is divided into five parts, or acts: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and dénouement.  Here is what that looks like for you visual people.

I had understood this in relation to my written story, but hadn't considered its connection to the visual 
images in a picture book.  In her storyboard this arc was evident.  The lines, the placement of picture on the page, the choice of a full-page spread or vignette was all presented with this same dramatic arc in mind.  I wish I had the time right now to redraw my storyboard to include this thought process, but it will have to wait.  

In the mean time, I am happy to say that I have a lovely friend and neighbor, Nikki, who has volunteered to give me a PhotoShop demo today.  Perhaps with her help I can make some of these adjustments in presentation for my dummy to take with me next week.  NEXT WEEK!!! Sorry, brief freak out.  I am very excited to be doing this conference.  I'm nervous too.  But most of all, I am enormously grateful for the opportunity.   
Hopefully I will get a chance to write one more time before I go.  Hope you have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment